Course FAQs

Course Requirement FAQs

Is there a way I can keep track of the requirements I need to fulfill for my PRWR Ordinary or Honours BA?

Yes. You can download a Degree Checklist here.

I took a course similar to one of the PRWR requirements at another school. Can't I get credit for that?

When you were first admitted York, your transfer credits were calculated by Admissions. If you took a course at another school after being admitted to York, you would need a Letter of Permission to receive credit for that work. If you have not received credit for a course that you believe is similar to a York course required for the PRWR degree, you may ask the PRWR Coordinator for a waiver (though it can't be guaranteed that you will receive one).

I'd rather not take course X, which is a PRWR requirement, but I would be willing to take course Y, which isn't a requirement but is similar to X, in its place. May I make the substitution?

Generally, no, you can’t. A requirement is a requirement. However, if you have "grandparented" status and a course that was required at your time of entry to the program but that you haven't yet taken is no longer taught, then you will have to substitute a course that is currently open for registration. For this substitution, you will need to have the formal approval of the Program Coordinator.

What do I have to do to take a PRWR course that's taught at Seneca College?

Seneca uses a different data management system, and because of this we need all students taking courses with the college to complete a short online form to acknowledge that some of their information will be collected and stored there, separate from what is kept at York University. This form only needs to be completed once.

I don't quite have Honours standing. Can I continue in Professional Writing anyway?

If you have completed your first year (having earned at least 24 credits), you need to maintain a 4.25 cumulative GPA for Honours standing during your second year. If you have completed your second year (having earned at least 54 credits), then you need to maintain a 4.80 cumulative GPA for Honours standing during your third year.

During these two years, if you are within a few hundredths of a point of Honours standing, you may petition the PRWR Coordinator for a waiver to continue in the PRWR Program. However, when you reach 90 earned credits, if you do not have a 5.00 cumulative GPA, you simply will not be allowed to continue in and graduate from the PRWR Program with an Honours Degree. There are absolutely no exceptions to this rule.

What would I do then?

You can take an Ordinary (non-Honours) 90-credit degree in Professional Writing, but you would have to fulfill all the requirements for that degree. You can check the 90-credit BA degree requirements checklist to find out what you may need.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Use the online GPA calculator

I'm in my fourth year and I want to ensure that I have all the credits I need to graduate. How do I do that?

Go online to York University's My Graduation web page and click on "Apply to Graduate." When you have filed your application, it will be reviewed by the Degree Audit office.

Degree Checklists are also available online. If you wish to have the Program Assistant help you with your degree audit, you must appear in person at the PRWR Office to make an appointment for that assistance. However, there will be an online appointment booking tool coming soon.