Professional Writing Honours BA
The Honours BA program in Professional Writing is housed in the Writing Department in the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies and is offered in collaboration with the School of Media, Seneca College (Seneca@York campus). Graduates of the program will receive an Honours BA degree in Professional Writing from York University.
Students who entered the PRWR in 2014 or after will follow the new Professional
Writing Program (PRWR) degree requirements. Students who entered the program before 2014 will follow the degree requirements for that year. Please see the Breakdown of Program Requirements by Academic Year below.
PRWR Honours BA: 120 credits
Professional Writing Program (PRWR) students will take 48 credits in the major, including the following:
Year 1 & 2 Requirements
1000-LEVEL (9 CREDITS)
- AP/WRIT 1003 6.00 Professional Writing: An Introduction
- AP/WRIT 1004 3.00 Research for Professional Writers
2000-LEVEL (15 CREDITS)
- AP/PRWR 2007 3.00 Rhetoric: Strategy and Application
- AP/WRIT 2003 6.00 Genre for Professional Writers
- AP/PRWR 2006 3.00 Fundamentals of Editing
- AP/WRIT 2004 3.00 Writing in Digital Cultures
The 3000-levelcourses serve as prerequisites for the 4000-level Capstone courses. Therefore, when selecting from the 4000-level Capstone courses, students must first complete the correlating and prerequisite 3000-level courses (for example, students will complete WRIT 3001 3.0 before beginning WRIT 4001 6.0). The experiential Capstone courses build on the theoretical and critical knowledge and practical skills developed throughout the first three years of the Professional Writing Program.
3000-LEVEL (12 CREDITS)
six (6) credits chosen from 3000-level Keystone courses:
- AP/WRIT 3001 3.0 Intermediate Digital Authoring
- AP/WRIT 3002 3.0 Introduction to Periodical Writing and Publishing
- AP/WRIT 3003 3.0 Introduction to Institutional/Business Writing
- AP/WRIT 3004 3.0 Books and Bookmaking in the 21st Century
six (6) additional credits
4000-level (12 credits)
Twelve (12) credits chosen from the Writing Department's current list of experiential
- AP/WRIT 4001 6.0 Digital Authoring Practicum
- AP/WRIT 4002 6.0 Periodical Writing and Publishing Practicum
- AP/WRIT 4003 6.0 Institutional/Business Writing Practicum
- AP/WRIT 4004 6.0 Book Publishing Practicum
Other Degree Requirements
General education: a minimum of 21 general education credits as follows:
- 6.00 credits in natural science (NATS)
- a 9.00 credit approved general education course in the social science or humanities categories
- a 6.00 credit approved general education course in the opposite category to the 9.00 credit course in social science or humanities already taken
Upper-level credits: at least 36 credits at the 3000 or 4000 level, including at least 18 credits at the 4000 level.
Credits outside the major: at least 18 credits.
Residency requirement: a minimum of 30 course credits and at least half (50 per cent) of the course credits required in each undergraduate degree program major/minor must be taken at York University.
Graduation requirement: students must successfully complete (pass) at least 120 credits which meet the Faculty's degree and program requirements with a cumulative grade point average of at least 5.00.
Did you enter the program before Fall 2014?
Students who entered the PRWR in the 2013-2014 Academic Year, have the option of continuing with the requirements for that Academic Year or of fulfilling the new requirements. For a comparison of requirements by year, please review the following PDF:
See the Degree Checklist Honours BA for complete degree requirements.
Previous Academic Calendars